So many people put off self-care and spend the majority of their time doing work that benefits others (like the boss), and tending to the needs of their family first. We tell ourselves, “I can take care of me later, when everything else is done”. But what happens when the demands from the boss and the family seem to be never-ending?
How long can you put off self-care?
If you find yourself:
- Running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off…
- Double-booking yourself,
- Running through the drive-thru for a cup of their strongest coffee because you overslept because you couldn’t fall asleep because your mind won’t shut the hell up…
Then… quite frankly, you aren’t practicing enough self care.
Taking good care of YOU, means the people of your life will receive the best of you and not what’s left of you. -Carl Bryan
Simple self-care tips for the mind:
- Unplug for an hour. Turn all of your electronics off or on airplane mode to free yourself of all those annoying notifications.
- Look for nature. Lie down and look at the sky or sit and stare over a large body of water.
- Take a half hour to tackle that annoying task that you’ve been putting off for far too long.
- Try a different route to work. Maybe take a side road and check out a different neighborhood. Mixing up the routine can create new neural pathways in the brain to keep it healthy.
- First thing in the morning, set a timer for 60 seconds and give yourself a whole minute to sit and think about absolutely nothing. And if something pops into our head, just guide your mind back to nothing. Use this time to focus on your breathing, and how your body feels to you at that moment. Give yourself a minute of simple awareness.
Simple self-care tips for the body:
- Dance it out. Come on. You know you like to boogie. Put on your favorite tune and dance. No one needs to know what you’re doing in your office.
- Give your body a treat. You can indulge in a massage or simply pick up a new piece to add to your wardrobe, Make sure it’s something that feels nice against your skin.
- Make one small change this week. Replace your usual soda with water. Or instead of fries, ask for veggies or a salad instead. Do this each day this week.
- Stretch! Remind yourself to move every hour. Don’t sit still for hours on end. Set a timer to stand up and stretch every hour at work. Be a leader and get your co-workers in on this, too.
- Take the stairs, instead of the elevator. You’ll be amazed by how easy it becomes for you over time.
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you do, please let me know in the comments below. Feel free to share it with others.
Certified Wellness and Nutrition Coach
Find me on Facebook.